Monday, June 04, 2007

Desire and Religion

Two books I am reading right now are about the awakening of desire. I didn't consciously choose to read two books on this subject, but here I am.

Here are a few quotes to consider:

"In large part world religions seem predominately focused on the restraint, sublimation, or even elimination of human desires."
--Uprising by Erwin McManus

"In Thy presence is the fullness of joy, in Thy right hand there are pleasures forever."
--Psalm 16:11

"A new heart I will give you, and a new Spirit I will put within you; and I will take out of your flesh the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes and be careful to observe My ordinances."
--Ezekiel 36:26-27


Here is my question:

Isn't Biblical Christianity in fact closer to humanism than the majority of world religions (Islam, Buddism, Hinduism, Phariseeism)? From a cursory glance at these religions, the end of humanity seems to be purification by the repression of desire , as if desire is a plague that must be expunged. But, as it turns out, the only way to become any less human is to suffocate the life from within.

However, adherants to both Humanism and the Bible seem to agree that desire is a compass directing them to what will make them happy. Both are seeking to become fully human. One does what comes naturally. The other does what comes Supernaturally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home