Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Marilyn Monroe

Last year I was hanging out with some friends at their apartment and we like to play guitar and make up songs. We were just looking around at things in the apartment and making songs about them (for instance the cardboard cutout of a stormtrooper because a political commentary on war). Next was a picture of Marilyn Monroe so I started making up words:

"Marilyn Monroe... I want you to know... even though we never met... I'm still praying for you"

At first it was a joke, but it got me thinking. I fully believe God exists outside of our timeline. This is partly why I have no trouble reconciling election with free will, etc (but thats another topic, a very sticky topic i still love to talk about, just not this time).

The question that immediately came to mind was this: If God exists outside of time, is praying for something in the past completely unwarranted. Once something happens has the past really "past"? I still believe there is something God can do about it.

Not to be goofy, cause this is a real question, but I think of it like Back to the Future a little bit. I don't really have a working definition of how our prayers affect God's Soverign choices, but is it possible for something to be undone?

I'm not even joking, I'm curious what you guys have to say about this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this is the verse i was looking forward and in the context it seems really significant. The writer is making the case that Christ is the mediator of a newer better covenant that saves people for all time by his one act of obedience etc...

Hebrews 9:27-28
"And just as it is appointed for mortals to die once and after that the judgment, so Christ having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin, but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."

This brings up a couple questions of are as humans able to do something Christ doesnt namely exist in limbo?

2) Why would Christ have to come back if everyone just always chills in limbo?

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home