Thursday, January 11, 2007

Truth

(from the my comment on the last Witless Brevity post by Matt Leung)

Maybe it is more accurate to view Truth as a Person rather than a set of precepts or statements. If Jesus is Truth (John 14:6), in Him is all that is true.

When I was at a youth specialties convention I heard Tony Jones say that "truth does not exist in a vacuum" meaning that all interpretation of truth is subject to the interpreter's bias, context, and frame of reference.

I disagree strongly on this point because I believe God is Truth and is transcendant of all culture or time. He may enter our timeline in the context of humanity (whether as Jesus or an angel of the Lord or a burning bush), but that does not mean He is nonexistant seperately in an eternal state.All this to say, I believe the search for Truth is the search for Jesus.

Perhaps it is time to broaden the scope of Truth beyond either/or and enter the realm of and/yet still. I believe Truth does exist in a vacuum because God exists outside of the world he has created. Truth is a person. His name is Jesus.

4 Comments:

Blogger Broun Stacy said...

The problem seems to be in our ability to ascertain that truth sufficiently and certainly. God himself cannot be apart from himself so Truth seems to go where he goes. But in my ability to watch, learn, obey the personal nature of truth in Jesus can i ever escape my own interpretive shortcomings? I think we can make progress and glean wisdom but i dont think saying Jesus is truth gets you off the hook.

9:44 PM  
Blogger hoose said...

yeah, i'm not saying we ever stop searching truth (or doctrine), in fact quite the opposite. I'm saying that Truth has existance beyond our interpretive framework and that our search for Truth never stops because we have only seen a hint of God's character.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Cabe said...

truth to me sounds the same as "fact". what do you mean by truth?

4:55 AM  
Blogger hoose said...

ok i think i have it figured out (for now)... God is Truth, and when we are seeking God we are seeking Truth, and when see some glimmer of God we make observations of this Truth. This is where I would make the distinction: the truth (little t) is what you are talking about with cold hard facts or observations which are made about Truth itself. These facts may be true, but they are not enough. This is why we must see the Way, the Truth, and the Life. I think this means that in this Truth are all answers, but not all of these answers can be attained by our intellect (but it is no less Truth). So then, we attain truth (facts) as a crutch to help us know Truth.

as always, i reserve the right to change my mind in light of good evidence.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home